The Beach Chair

Friday, March 9, 2007

Looking up

Sometimes, God has a way of getting our attention. In the midst of our everyday lives, we tend to get so wrapped up in our jobs, friends and social life, we forget to take care of the most important thing - ourselves. I'm guilty as charged. When I go, I'm moving at warp speed. And while I work out consistently, that's no substitute for good ole fashion rest and relaxation.

This past Sunday, I went to New York to see an Arena League game. Naturally, in an arena/stadium setting, I sweated a bit. I thought nothing of it, even as I walked back to the bus with no jacket on and in wind gusts upward to 15 mph. So what, I'm Superman (so I think), I can't possibly get sick.

But I did.

As you get older you're able to recognize when something's not right within. On Monday morning, it slowly began to hit me. Now, I'm not one to leave work early, especially because of a few sniffles, but I felt so bad I had no choice but to head to the crib. My body achin' and chills taking over, I made it home and got no future than the couch. I took some medicine, laid down and could barely move. All I could do was look up. Despite the fact, I hadn't been sick in a while and I had been taking reasonably good care of myself, I think God saw to the need to tap me on the shoulder and let me know he was stil there. As I curled up in my blanket, head throbbing, I got the message. I think God good a slight chuckle seeing me there curled up barely able to move. If was as if he new the message had been sent.

I'm better now, thankfully. And yes, "she" did bring some medicine by and checked up on me. But looking back, before I could get well and while I was suffering through my fever, coughs and everything else, all I could do was look up.

I needed that reminder.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home