The Beach Chair

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Jena 6

Today, I wore a black button-up, black jeans and black shoes in support of the Jena 6. While I've followed this story since I first heard about about and am proud to be a part of the national day of protest, today I have a weird feeling in my stomach.

For most of the day, I've sat at my desk and watched the coverage on CNN. I was blown away by what I saw. I listened for the past few days as people talked about flocking to Jena, but I really didn't think it would be as crowded as it appeared. Thousands of people - black and white - migrated to the small Louisiana town. It looked like something out of a history book, it looked like an image from the civil rights movement.

Which brings to my point - somewhat. If there was any period of time I could go back to the future and be a part of, it would be the 1960s. I just want to see. Many of those older than you and I have shared stories of how it was and what they had to go through. To us, as much as we listened, they were still just stories, we couldn't relate. We believed, but didn't understand. Because of this, many of our older family and friends sometimes question how much we appreciate our race and what we've been through.

But today, as I watched t.v. and had on my black, I felt proud to be a part of the movement. Proud to be black. Event like this, reminds us younger folks of what it felt like for everyone to come together for the cause. And while we know not what will come of this march, one thing's for sure. We showed up and showed out.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home