The Beach Chair

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Senseless

It's no secret there's crime in our country. Day in and day out, crimes are committed and people are always caught up in wrong doings. It's certainly not right, but, unfortunately, it's the world we live in. However even with the acceptance that, despite the fact its not right, crime is committed, there's always an instance where in eyebrows are raised and attention is brought to the fact that crime in this country is indeed a huge problem and something needs to be done.

I was driving on the Jersey turnpike on Sunday, heading back from VA, and on Hot 97, they were discussing the fatal robbery and murder of three people in Newark over the weekend. Three Delaware State University students were killed another was injured as they young people were simply enjoying a summer evening, not causing any problems at all.

Why? For no apparent reason at all.

Senseless.

This story hit home for me on several different levels. One of my best friends from college was born and raised in "Da Bricks" and still lives there to this day. Since this young men were seemingly picked at random, I thought of how easily it could have been my boy. I have been to Newark a couple of times and while it's certainly not the 'burbs, it's as very nice city that has improved tremendously over the past few years. Also, having attended college at Hampton University, we saw a lot of Delaware State over the four years I was school. So, anytime someone from another school you're familiar with, and for me particularly another HBCU, experiences a tragedy, it hurts.

I can't imagine what was going on through those young people's minds as they were marched to their deaths. It's something I pray I never have to experience. It terrifies me to think about what it would be like for my family to receive that late-night phone call. But, the reality is, it could happen to any of us at any given time. Because of this, we must live each day to the fullest because you never know which day will be your last.

1 Comments:

  • At August 8, 2007 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

    oh that ish PISSED ME OFF!!! i was all kinds of hot. like wtf?!?! crime is bad enough anytime but can't you stick to drug dealers instead of 4 college kids? that may sound elitist but that's how i feel. that's jacked up.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home