The Beach Chair

Monday, June 25, 2007

Guess who's back!

Greetings!

For all of the 10-plus people who read this blog, I'm back! The number, however, with shameless self-promotion is growing by leaps and bounds everyday.

A lot has been going on the last couple of weeks, which I will try to recap the best I can.

First off, I turned 25!

As I've stated in previous blogs, this birthday was somewhat monumental in that it's the age where, as a young man, you should have your ish together, or at least have a concrete plan. I think I'm well on my way, but I know I still have some growing to do. While I only got a couple of presents, the best gift I received was the news first thing in the morning that my mom didn't have cancer. I knew then that, no matter what else happened, my day would be great!

Speaking of gifts, "she" surprised me like never before. Let me preface this by saying that you have to get up reaaaaal early to pull one on me, but I must give credit where credit is due. She came by the house and in her hand was a carrying case of some sort. I was too busy paying attention to her that I didn't really bother trying to figure out what it was.

Low and behold, a faint sound came from the case and as she reached in, out popped a kitten, no bigger than my foot. Now, a while back I mentioned I wouldn't mind having a cat. And for those questioning a grown man having a cat, I assure you, I've very secure with myself. And plus, I live in an apartment. The Rottweiler will come later.

Now, back to the cat. Libby is her name and she's the most fun-loving, adorable fur-ball this side of the Hudson River. It was totally unexpected which make me enjoy her that much more. I'm thankful for her and for "her".

I took a moment to really sit and think about 25. I told a friend, it would probably be about two months before my new age would really set it. It's kind of like when it's February and you're still writing the previous year on your checks.

At 25, I've spent time in 21 of the 50 states. I've been in the same room as the President of the United States and local drugs dealers. I've shook hands with celebrities, Hall of Famers, multi-millionaires and homeless people. I've seen people become converted and find the Lord and I've seen people duck for cover to avoid flying bullets. I've walked on some of the nicest beaches and resorts in America and have had to look over my shoulder as I walked some of the most dangerous streets. At 25, I'm a rare breed. I'm young, black, educated and not in jail. I'm thankful. I don't say things like this to boast. I just recognize and appreciate how fortunate I am.

Until next time...

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home